Hypnosis is a powerful tool everyone should use.
Imagine being able to instantly reprogram yourself to hurt less, have less anxiety, form a new habit, or get work done without getting distracted online… Wouldn’t that be great?
Well, you absolutely can reprogram yourself through self hypnosis. A Practical Guide To Self Hypnosis by Melvin Powers teaches you how to do it right. You can read it in one day and implement the learnings immediately. Or you can read this blog post.
What is hypnosis?
Hypnosis is a combination of commands and visualizations that induce a natural trance state. When in the trance, the hypnotized person is better able to focus. He is more open to suggestion because he puts more effort into following instructions than into questioning the premise. Hypnosis and the trance state are not, however, always peaceful. Consider the veteran suffering from PTSD who panics each time a car backfires. He is in a trance induced by the sound, and it’s not fun. That’s how powerful hypnosis can be.
The more you do it, the faster and more effective it is.
The more frequently you follow the same hypnosis script, the faster and deeper your trance will set. The process involves reciting a script to yourself while seeing yourself travel through space to a more peaceful realm. You’ll be repeating a mantra, like “sleep deeper” as you visualize. Over time, the trance can set in within seconds.
How to hypnotize yourself:
- Lie down comfortably and fix your eyes on a point on the ceiling. It should be slightly behind you, causing your eyes to strain as you look at it.
- Breath slowly and deeply.
- Repeat out loud or mentally “sleep” as you inhale, and “deep sleep” as you exhale. Do this for a few minutes until you start feeling drowsy.
- Suggest to yourself that you close your eyes.
- Deepen the hypnotic state by counting. “As I count to three, I shall go deeper into a profound, hypnotic state; I will be more relaxed on the count of three.” Repeat versions of this to yourself a few times.
- Count to three, repeating the command with each count: “one… getting more relaxed. Two… deeper relaxation…Three… totally relaxed, in a hypnotic state.”
- Once hypnotized, you can use this counting method to program yourself to do all sorts of things, including carrying those commands into everyday life. Longer counts can help. Some examples:
- “On the count of ten, my right arm will feel weightless and will rise up on its own. One… getting lighter…”
- “On the count of ten, I will be more loving towards my family and friends.”
- “When I wake on the count of ten, I will continue to be more loving to my family and friends.”
- “On the count of ten, I will forgive my friend completely.”
- “On the count of ten, I will no longer have a headache.”
It takes practice to regularly hypnotize yourself. You can test the depth of your hypnosis with physical tests like the weightless arm. Other test include making your eyelids heavy, giving yourself an uncontrollable urge to swallow, making limbs feel heavier, or feeling tingling sensations in your hands. If you can’t induce any of these effects, be patient. You may need to spend more time in the initial “sleep / sleep deeper” phase, and lengthen the counts for each command.
Another key to going deeper is to use visual-imagery. Along with the count, “see” yourself walking down stairs with each count, taking an elevator, or riding an escalator.
Useful daily tasks that can be improved with hypnosis
You can use a quick hypnosis session before starting a task. These include:
- Enhancing your focus before a time-consuming tasks like coding or spreadsheet work
- Boosting your confidence before an important meeting
- Reducing anxiety before public speaking
- Strengthening your will to exercise every day
- Helping yourself adhere to a tricky diet
- Programming yourself to stay cool in case you have an argument
- Forgiving people and yourself
- Reducing your road rage
Use Hypnosis to improve your your meditation
Once in a hypnotically-induced trance, you can begin a mantra for meditation. Your meditation will be deep and peaceful, and you will feel the effects of that meditation almost right away.
Try the Power 20 hypnosis track for daily exercise and diet adherence.
Listen to these guided meditation tracks to help you fall asleep and to visualize a successful day. These can be used as part of the Power 20 Method or on their own.
Good luck, and let us know how it goes in the comments section.